Federal Historic Preservation Tax Credit
The Federal Historic Preservation Tax Credit can be an incredibly useful preservation tool for eligible property owners and properties. Established in 1976 and operated by the National Park Service, the program offers owners an income tax credit of 20% of qualified costs for rehabilitating income-producing historic buildings. To participate, properties must be individually listed in the National Register of Historic Places or contribute to a National Register (or certified local) district. To qualify, changes to an eligible property must be consistent with the historic character of the property and conform to the Secretary of the Interior’s Standards for Rehabilitation*.
We can provide assistance throughout the multi-stage process, working closely with state and federal reviewers and completing the various applications for the Historic Preservation Tax Credit including:
- Part 1 (Evaluation of Significance).
- Part 2 (Description of Rehabilitation).
- and Part 3 (Certification of Completed Work).
* For more information on the federal historic preservation tax incentives see http://www.nps.gov/history/hps/tps/tax/
Examples of Tax Credit Projects:
- Amoskeag Mills, Numbers 1, 2 and 6, Manchester, NH
- Amoskeag Mill No. 11 & Annex, Manchester, NH
- Beaver Mills, Keene, NH
- Carpenter Hotel, Manchester, NH (Part 1)
- Drake Farm, North Hampton, NH
- Drewsville Mansion, Walpole, NH
- Estabrook & Anderson Shoe Factory, Nashua, NH (Part 1)
- Goffstown High School, Goffstown, NH
- Hillsborough Mills, Milford, NH
- Laconia Tavern, Laconia, NH (Part 1)
- Batchelder School, Laconia, NH (Part 1)
- Elm Street Affordable Housing, Manchester, NH (Part 1)
- Cutts Mansion, Portsmouth, NH (Part 1)
- Dunlap Block, Manchester, NH (Part 1)
- Scarborough High School, Scarborough, ME (Part 1)
- Tewksbury Block, Manchester, NH (Part 1)
- Nashua Gummed & Coated Paper Company, Nashua, NH
- Boarding House/Store House #5, Monadnock Mills, Claremont, NH
- Faulkner & Colony Mill, Keene, NH (Part 1)
- Dexter Richards & Sons Woolen Mill, Newport, NH